Sunday, February 20, 2011

About Busy Nothings

What started out as a required weekly assignment for my History of Visual Communications class has evolved over the past few months into a full-fledged blog? Yes? Am I officially a "blogger"? Oh dear....

What I find most interesting about current graphic design work are the inherent references and historical connections to art movements of the past. I welcome these little nuggets of genius, and so goes the saying, "Bad artists imitate, Great artists steal"; totally OK in my book. As a creative person, I find inspiration constantly, so this blog has become a venue for me to share little things I like or find visually interesting. I have always be drawn to things that are antiquated, whether it be a classic novel, a period film, or my grandmother's costume jewelry from the 1950s. I am often found rummaging through odds and ends at thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales (or my mother's closet) looking for little treasures. These collected items inspire and inform my work as an artist and designer.  My design point of view yes, is a little biased, but what can I say, I like things that are pretty!

*A note on the Title: I admit it. I am a self-proclaimed Jane Austen fanatic. The title was taken from one of Austen's many brilliant quotations, “Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.”

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment