Thursday, February 3, 2011

"She turned me into a knewt! Well, it got better...."

DISCLAIMER: This is definitely not my most serious design post, but I swear it is relevant! After visiting the Three Faiths Exhibit at the New York Public Library to see the collection of beautiful illuminated texts, I have been craving me some Monty Python and the Holy Grail! (I know I am not the only one!) For those of you who have not seen it (shame on you), there are little cartoons that introduce each of King Arthur's knights as they begin their quest for the Holy Grail.  These cartoons are illustrated in the style of Medieval Celtic-style illuminated drawings, featuring lacertines and interlaced textures. This clip, from "The Tale of Sir Lancelot", features a monastic scriptorium, and who I am assuming is a Copisti (a production letterer), hand writing a manuscript.

Enjoy ;)

 

Clip taken from: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Three Faiths at The New York Public Library:

No comments:

Post a Comment