Thursday, April 14, 2011

Charge it, please

"I am Eloise. I am six. I am a city child. I live at the Plaza Hotel." And so opens the hilarious tale of the precocious troublemaker in Eloise (1955), aka one of my all-time favorite books as a child. Along with her pug Weenie and turtle Skipperdee, Eloise takes readers through her daily adventures (and misadventures) around 1950s New York City. She is brought to life through beautifully expressive illustrations by fellow Long Island-native, Hilary Knight. The drawings are as charming as they are hilarious; Eloise "skibbless", "skidders", and "scampers" around the pages in whimsical black and white, accented with just the right amount of pink.


I have a number of blog posts in the making, but seeing as I am "rawther tired tired tired", I think I may have to postpone till tomorrow. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment