Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Real Haus-wives of Design


Previously, on The Real Haus-wives of Design....

Anni Albers and Gunta Stolzl get in a cat fight, ending in a dramatic wine spill on Gunta's woven rug. Punches were thrown. Names were called. But it all ended over a shared passion for total unity in art. Just kidding. Sort of.


The Bauhaus was a highly influential art/design/architecture school and movement beginning in Weimar, Germany in 1919, later moving to Dessau in 1925, and Berlin in 1932. Artists of the Bauhaus school emphasized "craft" and the fine arts, as well as harmony between the function of an object its design. This meant that objects were highly simplified and lacking in elaborate decoration, favoring functional geometric shapes and spheres.


 

This lifestyle isn't exactly practical for pack rats like me (I'm no hoarder, I swear!), but I WISH I could be so organized and minimalistic. If I were a Haus-wife, this would be my home decor wishlist. Most of the items are from IKEA, aka the Costco for neo-Bauhausians; the lovely people there have reinterpreted many of the original Bauhaus designs for modern shoppers. And at über bargain prices!



I know that some of this stuff borders on Mid-Century design, but that's Ok because the Bauhaus was a huge influence for graphic and interior designers later in the 1950s and 60s ;)




Daily Drop Cap "p". Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment